Glendovan

   GLENDOVAN, or Glendevon, a parish, in the county of Perth, 8 miles (S. S. E.) from Auchterarder; containing 157 inhabitants. This parish, which is about six miles in length and four in breadth, derives its name from the river Devon, which runs through it in a direction from west to east, taking its course along a narrow and verdant glen, and being inclosed by banks of considerable elevation. It lies in the midst of the Ochil hills, and is bounded on the north by the parishes of Blackford and Auchterarder, on the east by Fossaway, on the south-east by Muckart, and on the west and south by Clackmannanshire; it comprises about 6000 acres, of which not more than 100 are arable, and the whole of the remainder rich meadow and pasture land. The surface is varied by the hills, clothed to their summits with luxuriant verdure; and except about thirty persons employed in the woollen manufacture, for which a mill has been established at Burnfoot, the population is wholly pastoral. The dairy-farms are well managed; and the produce is sold in the markets of Alloa and Stirling, where it finds a ready sale. The rateable annual value of Glendovan is £1500. A good road has been constructed for about three and a half miles through the parish, at an expense of £5257, and has been of great benefit in facilitating a supply of coal, which is plentiful in the immediate vicinity: peat-moss is also abundant, and is used to a considerable extent for fuel. The Devon, a fine copious stream, abounds with excellent trout, and flows through a tract enriched with pleasingly picturesque scenery: on the south bank is Glendovan House, a handsome mansion commanding a good view of the glen. The parish is in the presbytery of Auchterarder and synod of Perth and Stirling, and patronage of the Crown; the minister's stipend is £158, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £20 per annum. The parochial school is well conducted; the master has a salary of £34, with £15 fees, and a house and garden.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Muckart —    MUCKART, a parish, in the county of Perth, 2½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Dollar; containing, with the village of Pool, 706 inhabitants. This place is supposed to have derived its name, signifying in the Gaelic language the head of a boar, either …   A Topographical dictionary of Scotland

  • Westwater — This unusual surname is of medieval Scottish origin, and is either a topographical name from residence by the river Westwater in Forfarshire, or Westwater, an affluent of the river Lyne in Peebleshire. Alternatively, the name may be locational… …   Surnames reference

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.